Friday, August 1, 2008

Mouse-adjacent



We made it to Orlando yesterday, on another day without incident. In the last hour of our trek to my aunt and uncle's we did get caught up in some significant rubber-necking traffic, as in a microburst-type storm, a semi jackknifed on I-4 heading east, and a school bus ran into it. The good news: all 29 kids on the bus are safe and sound--thanks to quick thinking on the bus driver's part, the injuries were very minor.

So today has been a down day--I've finished one of my syllabi (or nearly so--there are a couple of spots in the course calendar that require me to make some decisions on reading material), done some laundry, and found the post office and the CVS. I should crack open some educational philosophy that needs to go into Chapter Two, but I keep getting interrupted.

Still, having my own space for a couple of nights is a gift from the gods!

Another gift: my grandfather is back home in his little apartment. We had made these plans to come down for his birthday quite some time ago, and then at the beginning of July, he was hospitalized with a blood clot that ran from his knee to his groin. They managed to fix that, but while he was in rehabilitation he contracted some kind of infection, and they wouldn't let him go home until it cleared up. So we weren't sure where (or what!) we'd be celebrating this weekend. Thankfully, he was released from rehab this morning, and my other aunt and uncle, who flew down from Maine yesterday, are getting him squared away at home. I think he's mainly happy to be there so he can get some exercise. Not sure what the deal is with the rehab place, but they stopped doing anything resembling "rehab" about two weeks ago, and didn't leave his walker handy, so he's been a bit stuck.

So tomorrow morning we making the short two-hour drive to Largo, and get to spend some time with my grandfather. I'm looking forward to seeing him.

No comments: