Sunday, August 24, 2008

Here comes the sun...


I've always been an early riser. It's hard for me to recall a time when I've ever consistently "slept in". Okay, maybe the summer I was ten, but my room that summer was under the eaves of an old camp, and I could spend hours watching the shadows of the leaves cavort on the ceiling.

But naturally, I'm an early riser. Makes me a bit of an odd duck in theatrical circles, but....it is helpful to already be awake when someone from the East Coast forgets that there's three hours time difference until about the third ring....

I like getting up early because, in part, the world has a different kind of quiet in the early hours of the day. And my mind is at its most clear and functional, which also helps. Angled sun begins to stream through my skylights, the sound of coffee gurgling through, normal quiet house sounds. Nobody's rushing around yet. It's good. It's peaceful. And peaceful is what I need in my life right now.

This fall seems to be predisposed toward tumult. And to a certain degree, I have to embrace that. It's kind of like having to let yourself be carried by the rip tide, until your thrown free of it.

It's daunting, but I'll survive. I'll survive, in part, because of the quiet I find in the early morning sun.

No comments: