Saturday, August 9, 2008

Home is where the heart is...


and where the ceiling isn't.

Tucson has had a wetter than average monsoon season. And Jose, my roofer (and yes, I am not quite comfortable being on a first name basis with my roofer) thinks that one of the guys installing my new A/C recently put his foot through a patch in the roof and didn't tell anyone. This, added with the fact that I found my bathroom in dissarray and a couple of things broken, makes me a little...worried? peeeved? baffled? irate?--I suppose all of the above, by turns.

At any rate.

It wasn't until after I got home from Trader Joe's with a few foodstuffs that I noticed that there was a section of my kitchen ceiling about eighteen inches around being held together by the paint. Well, a quick call, and the roofer was here a half hour later--but he can only do a temporary patch for the weekend (and yes, we're expecting rain) and will have to replace rotting roof Monday or Tuesday of next week. And has suggested that they not fix the inside until after that.

Well.

I got up this morning, and took the picture that you see above. Obviously, the paint didn't hold. Thankfully, I emptied the cupboards in that corner last night (and am still in the process of cleaning some of the contents. But at this point, I expect they'll not only replace the ceiling, but at least one portion of the cupboard and the countertop--the latter being one of those 70s pressboard and laminate numbers that has now warped at the seam.

All of this, while I have a to-do list a SMOOT long. And only a week of solitude before I have a roomie for four months.

And yet, in all, life is still good.

No comments: