Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Little Indulgences


While I am torn between attempting to get through creating my last syllabus tonight and spending my evening "lackadaisicalliciously" as I've promised a friend I would, I did just embrace one of my favorite little indulgences as a way to wind down this evening.

For a while, when I was growing up, my folks owned a commercial greenhouse and florist shop. It was one of the truly great parts of my childhood--despite the fact that my second grade field trip was to my house to study plants. Many of you know how much I love plants, and how soothing I find gardening. I trace it back to those childhood moments.

One of the things that always bothered my mom about owning the florist shop though, was that nobody ever gave her flowers. So now, my stepfather makes sure there are always fresh flowers in the house. Sounds expensive--but let me tell you, the grocery stores get their flowers the same place the high end florists do, and in quantities great enough to pass the savings on.

So today, I walked to the grocery store nearby--just to pick up a couple of things--and saw these gorgeous orange roses--for $6.99! A whole dozen! (As a side note, for the one or two boys that may read this, red roses are not necessarily mandatory--and actually, buying a girl roses that aren't read can often lead her to believe that you think she's more than your average red-rose kinda girl).

Like my mother, having fresh flowers in the house makes me happy.

So, I indulged.

No comments: