Monday, August 18, 2008

Hillippines!

My friend the world traveler is safe and sound--in Manila! I just caught her online, checking her email, and didn't want to keep her--but seeing her name with that little green button alight next to it filled me with a surge of much-needed delighted energy. Thanks, dear!

Today has been long and at times tedious, but definitely had it's high moments, like the aforementioned traveler-sighting. I didn't sleep well last night--I never sleep well when the moon is full. But this morning, when I checked my email, I had a very nice affirmation from a former student, who is now teaching (at the middle school level, I believe). She was looking for an additional copy of some source material I had lent to her, because she's developing a unit around something similar--and she wanted to let me know that she is planning on using another assignment that I have developed to analyze plays. I consider that a mighty fine compliment.

So too, were the words of praise I received from another student, who stopped by my office this afternoon to update me on her summer doings. I confess, I felt guilty because I was in the middle of a project that needed completion (as tedious as it was), and I didn't feel like I devoted my full attention to her. But after about 15 minutes, when I gently told her I had to get back to work, she thanked me for my time, and told me it was nice to have a professor take interest in her not just professionally, but as a whole human being.

That was pretty cool.

So, in all, today was a good day.

No comments: