Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Two Days. Ten States.


Yes, I know.

I'm skipping a GABILLION updates at the moment.

I'm on the road back to the Old Pueblo, and thus far the father/daughter adventure has been pretty darn smooth. But it does sound impressive to say that I've hit ten states in two days. I will need to keep that in mind when I'm driving through the endless mass that is the Lone Star State. And really, I probably shouldn't count New Jersey, since I-84 barely skims it where it shares borders with New York and Pennsylvania. Truth is, I drove this particularly route from DC to Maine for at least three years before I knew I was tiptoeing along the edge of NJ--and only found that out because I need gas, and turn left at the bottom of the ramp. Go figure.

But tonight, I'm already ensconced in my fluffy bed in Harrisonburg, VA. Yes. I managed to plot a route from Maine to Florida without using the evil evil EVIL I-95 until Whetsell, South Carolina. Ha.

But I am exhausted, as last night we stayed at my stepmother's brother's place in Bethel, CT--and stayed up late talking. Greg and Cheryl have this lovely ancient farmhouse that is incredibly well preserved. I've never been more fascinated by trim and hinge-work--seriously. Gorgeous, simple craftsmanship. Anyway. When we finally hit the hay, Dad and I were sharing a room--and while the air mattress was comfy, he kinda hiccuped, snored, and moaned through the night.

So I didn't so much sleep well. I was thankful I brought along some ear plugs, though--that helped me get some shut eye.

But tonight, we're sharing a room again--but like a good boy scout I'm prepared. Ear plugs? Check. Ipod, in case those don't work? Check. Tylenol PM, if all else fails? Check.

Cross your fingers--because it'll be rough going to get to Waltersboro, South Carolina on three hours sleep for the second night running.

No comments: