Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tucumcari, NM

Total miles: 664 (although that is tracking from where I got gas before leaving Tucson. I'm afeard the actual number may be more devilish that naught...)

664 doesn't seem like a whole lot--but when you factor in the 4000 foot change in elevation (at least twice--I drove through Salt River Canyon), it was a very..active...driving day.

I did stop and take some pictures on my way back up out of Salt River Canyon...That funky ridge in the top left? That would be the road. Pretty, but it was a crazy drive.

And the hits just kept on coming. When I finally got to New Mexico, I played chicken with an afternoon thunderstorm. Managed to sneak through relatively unscathed, but quickly came across this:



It's blurry, because I took it as I drove by...but that's a fire started by lightening. The flames were licking the guardrail.

And I think that's all I've got tonight. I'm toast.

No comments: