Thursday, July 3, 2008

On the road...all alone

While I'm driving, I think of all of this brilliant ponderings about my adventure that I want to share....

And then I arrive at my destination of the day, and discover my brain is complete and utter mush.

And I couldn't update last night, because my friends in Springfield don't have the internets at home, and the poaching proved futile (after several attempts at wafting my laptop around the house hoping to catch a stray signal).

But here are some randoms bits from the trip:

Shamrock, Texas...I stopped to fill my tank just outside of town. At a Chevron. Surrounded by nothingness. Had a delightful conversation with the mechanic who ran the place. Not a consequential discussion, but just nice reassurance that not all Americans (and not all Texans) are stereotypes.

One should be able to get NPR anywhere. One cannot in parts of Texas and Oklahoma.

The highway leading to OK City is like driving on a washboard--at 70 miles an hour.

One should be extra careful in the last fifteen minutes of any long day's drive.

NOBODY is road-tripping this summer. In any given state, I'm pretty much seeing only that state's license plates on the road...unless I'm close to the state line. And I've only seen a handful of RVs, or cars hauling boat trailers. For the day before a holiday weekend, the roads were EMPTY today.

My mother probably doesn't need to know that I will quite often drive cross-legged on long straightaways.

I took pictures of the Mississippi as I crossed it, but my camera is WAY over on the other side of the room, and I'm WAY too tired to get up and get it. I'll post it tomorrow.

Speaking of which, tomorrow is a long day--over ten hours from Louisville to Philadelphia.

So I go sleep now. Cheers. Bye.

No comments: