Monday, May 19, 2008

Moonbathing

Tonight is a blue moon. It seems to me there usually is one at the beginning of planting season, at least in the Northern climes of my childhood.

Blue moons in the desert are different: more sky, less bugs, more temperate. Great for moonbathing.

I haven't been moonbathing in a long time--certainly not since I moved back here (and as an aside, I can't believe I've been back in the desert for as long as I have--perhaps because it still had the tinge of temporary to it).

Sadly, most of the places I used to like to go moonbathing are out of bounds now. The best place is just too close to a little airfield north of Tucson, that is now one of the major training grounds for desert helicopter ops. Last time i went up there to catch an unimpaired view of the milky way, I was nicely asked to find another viewing spot--by two gentlemen in full military gear, down to the AK-47s.

And that kind of weaponry is not conducive to basking in the light of the moon.

So part of today's goal: find a good moonbathing opportunity for tonight. I prefer open fields, but who knows? I may have to settle for a moonlit walk instead of spreading a blanket for this one. But that's okay. As long as I get to spend a little time in some moonbeams!

No comments: