Tuesday, June 21, 2011

About Time: or, Alphabet Soup

So.

I'm currently in Northern California, attending an awesome ensemble theatre festival (check out foolsfury.org for more info on the Fury Factory)--and I should be writing...well, several things, frankly.

And I've been doing anything but.

Including resurrecting this blog. It seems fitting that my last entry was also on the summer solstice--two years ago. Two years is a long time, and so much has happened. But the gift of this summer is letting some of what has passed, well...stay in the past. It's time to move forward, without unnecessary burdens. And its about time.

One of the burdens I'm hoping to set down is the burden of writing right. Having a noisome internal editor who craves perfection like sugar or crack can be crippling. It's that kind of writer's block that leaves words and phrases rattling around in the echo chamber of your brain, and seems to get particularly inspired when your physically incapable of writing those phrases down--like when you're in the shower, or on the road.

It is so easy to be defeated by it--but I'm choosing to no longer be the victim of my internal editor.

So, I'm poaching an idea from an old friend, who recently completed an A-Z blog challenge--and challenging myself to write an entry a day for the next 26 days (one entry for each letter of the alphabet) in order to jump start the habit of a daily writing practice.

And since it has been two years since I've written anything here, I'm going to assume that it's a false accountability...still, somewhere in the ether, the tally is now set at ONE.

No comments: